MINNEAPOLIS - As Joe Mauer walked back to the dugout, the bat in his hand and a sour look on his face, there were boos from the

in Anregungen für Homepage 09.09.2019 07:52
von jokergreen0220 • 1.230 Beiträge

MINNEAPOLIS - As Joe Mauer walked back to the dugout, the bat in his hand and a sour look on his face, there were boos from the Minnesota crowd. Dale Hawerchuk Jets Jersey . Mauer struck out to end the inning, with a runner on third base in the seventh on Wednesday and the Twins trailing 1-0. Everybody does this, of course, in a sport with a 30 per cent success rate at the plate long proven to be a benchmark of excellence. Failures this year have piled up for Mauer faster than usual for the six-time All-Star, three-time American League batting champion and one-time AL MVP. "Im a heck of a lot more frustrated than they are," Mauer said that night, when asked about those jeering fans. The sound of those boos has been jarring, considering hes the hometown guy from St. Paul with the handsome looks and the hitting skills to build a .321 career batting average, the best among all active players in baseball with at least 3,000 plate appearances. Minnesotans are fiercely proud of and protective of their natives, so Mauer figured to have a lifetime pass in the popularity department here. After signing that $184 million, eight-year contract extension in 2010, though, he has become a more-frequent target of criticism from fans frustrated by the teams struggles the past several years. The 28 home runs he hit in 138 games in 2009 were a one-year wonder. Lingering lower-body injuries limited him to 82 games in 2011. This season, his on-base-plus-slugging percentage was at a career-low .704 entering the weekend series in New York. Mauer is also on pace to blow by his career-high strikeout total of 89 set last year. "I feel pretty good actually, which is even more frustrating," he said. "Im hitting a lot of balls hard and just not having much to show for it. So hopefully that turns here soon." Mauer isnt the only one sputtering with the Twins. The teams batting average with runners in scoring position fell to .214, the second-worst in the league, after losing three of four games to Texas this week. "Were putting together a lot of good at-bats but still not driving people in with runners in scoring position. Thats the main focus, getting guys on, but we cant get them in," second baseman Brian Dozier said. Mauer reluctantly gave up his job as the catcher to better protect himself from another concussion, after missing the final six weeks of last season following a foul tip that hit him in the head. The loss to the Twins of Mauers intelligence and defence behind the plate was supposed to be trumped by an increase in his availability and production at a less-taxing position. He missed five games with back spasms earlier this month, but since then he said he feels fine. The problem has been these paltry totals: nine extra-base hits and 15 RBIs through Thursday. "The expectations are very high for him. People get frustrated. I just dont want Joe to get frustrated. I know he is a little bit right now, because he doesnt have the results he wants. But I dont want to put any more pressure on the guy," manager Ron Gardenhire said. "I just want him to just keep being himself, keep swinging, and hell be fine." ___ Dave Campbell on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveCampbellAP Teppo Numminen Jets Jersey . - Considering where Jeff Gordon was after Richmond, left out of the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship in part due to some late-race shenanigans, he couldnt have been happier on Sunday. Jack Roslovic Jets Jersey . Pinch-hitter Tommy Medica singled in the go-ahead run in the eighth inning and the Padres beat the Seattle Mariners 2-1 in their first home game since Gwynn died of cancer Monday. http://www.jetsauthentic.com/authentic-kyle-connor-jets-jersey/ . The 41-year-old Northern Irishman has proved a perfect fit at Liverpool since taking over from Kenny Dalglish in the summer of 2012 and steered the team to an unexpected title challenge in the Premier League last season.BROOKLYN, NY -- On the Toronto Raptors bus ride to practise Saturday, talk wasnt about the upcoming game against the Brooklyn Nets. It centred around the Los Angeles Clippers and owner Donald Sterling. The NBA is investigating a report of an audio recording in which a man identified as Sterling tells his girlfriend not to bring black people to games. "Guys more than anything are saying, Something has to addressed, something has to be said," said Raptors forward Steve Novak, who spent two seasons (2008-10) with the Clippers. The league said it is in the process of authenticating the validity of the recording posted on TMZs website. In the recording, the man questions his girlfriends association with minorities. TMZ reported the woman, V. Stiviano, who is of black and Mexican descent, posted a picture of herself with Lakers Hall of Famer Magic Johnson on Instagram -- which has since been removed. "Theres definitely not a place for it in the NBA, in this game," Novak said. "What makes it so strange is hes been an NBA owner for that many years (33), hes not someone who isnt associated with African Americans, someone whos benefited that much from African Americans. . . theyve been such a positive part of his life. "Sometimes theres very successful people who arent very good people," Novak added about the American business magnate. The man in the recording asked Stiviano not to broadcast her association with black people or bring black people to games. He specifically mentioned Magic Johnson on the recording, saying "dont bring him to my games, OK?" "I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner," Johnson responded on Twitter. He also said the alleged comments are "a black eye for the NBA" and felt bad that friends such as Clippers coach Doc Rivers and point-guard Chris Paul had to work for Sterling. "I dont blame him. I wouldnt either," DeMar DeRozan said of Johnsons decision to boycott games. DeRozan, who grew up in Compton just south of downtown Los Angeles, said he felt for the Clippers players, who lead their Western Conference playoff series against Golden State 2-1. "Honestly, especially right now in the playoffs, theyre trying to win their series so its going to be interesting to see (how the players handle the situation),&quuot; DeRozan said. Teemu Selanne Jersey. Landry Fields added: "Right now theyre kind of in a tough position. Theres still playoffs to be played. But it is sad that now this has become an issue rather than Clipper basketball." DeRozan was asked if he could play for an owner like Sterling. "I dont know man, I dont know. I dont know," the all-star said with a shake of his head. "Me personally, I dont stand for nothing like that. It would be tough, itd be tough." Added Raptors coach Dwane Casey: "If its true, its a sad commentary on our society . . . on our society as a whole, being an African American myself." Novak said the allegations are no surprise, players have known about previous discrimination cases against Sterling. He said the NBA must take action. "I think its personal to each and every guy," Novak said. "More than anything I dont think the league can sit back and say it didnt happen, if it did. "Theres no way that should be tolerated. I dont think in any workplace in the world you can speak that way about anybody, and in our league especially." New NBA commissioner Adam Silver said in a press conference before the Grizzlies playoff game in Memphis that the audio is "disturbing and offensive." "All members of the NBA family should be afforded due process and a fair opportunity to present their side of any controversy, which is why Im not yet prepared to discuss any potential sanctions against Donald Sterling," Silver said. "We will, however, move extraordinarily quickly in our investigation." Novak added its a huge black eye to the NBA ownership group. "The owners in the NBA are such an impressive group of people," he said. "Look at all the owners and what theyve done, and all the good things that they do, and so for something like that to come out, to be grouped as an NBA owner type-thing is unfortunate." Sterling has been involved in several lawsuits over the years. Novak played for the Clippers when the owner was sued by the U.S. Department of Justice in 2009. Sterling agreed to pay US$2.73 million to settle allegations by the government that he refused to rent apartments to Hispanics and blacks and to families with children. Sterling is the longest-tenured owner in the NBA since Lakers owner Jerry Buss died last year. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: SantaMedical
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8413 Themen und 8420 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen