than wait until the week be

in Allgemein 12.10.2019 17:08
von MJL456 • 2.720 Beiträge

PHILADELPHIA -- Temple turned to the Minister of Mayhem to keep its football renaissance alive.The Owls hired Florida defensive coordinator Geoff Collins on Tuesday, plucking one of the SECs top defensive minds to become their fourth coach in the last eight seasons.Collins will replace Matt Rhule, who left the Philadelphia-based school last week for Baylor after leading the 23rd-ranked Owls to consecutive double-digit victory seasons and the American Athletic Conference championship this year.Rhule was at Temple for four seasons and brought the program to new heights, including consecutive bowl bids for the first time in school history.Collins, 45, has been with the Gators for two seasons and before that was defensive coordinator at Mississippi State. The Gators defense has ranked in the top-10 in the country in each of Collins two seasons in Gainesville.We will compete for championships, we will provide a world-class student-athlete experience and education, and we will represent the community with pride, Collins said.A Georgia native and former player a Western Carolina, Collins has spent most of coaching career in the South. He spent one season (1996) at Fordham in New York and two seasons (1997-98) at Division III Albright College in Reading, Pennsylvania early in his career.Collins also had stints at Georgia Tech, Alabama, Central Florida and Florida International. He became defensive coordinator for the first time at Mississippi State under coach Dan Mullen and was part of some of the schools most successful teams.Theyre going to get a guy that motivates players, a guy that really understands the game and understands both sides of the ball, not just the defensive side, Florida coach Jim McElwain said. Hes done a great job of studying the offensive side and the things that it takes there. A relentless, competitive recruiter, and a guy thats now been around at some places to see how he can establish his own kind of way of doing things.Collins once described his defensive philosophy as a little bit crazy, which helped stick him with the Mayhem nickname.Were really excited about the opportunity for him and his family at Temple, McElwain said. Its a place thats really done a great job, and hell carry that on.The Owls are counting on Collins to keep the program humming alone as one of the best in the AAC. Rhule worked wonders at Temple and the Owls (10-2) are poised to win 11 games for the first time in program history with a win over Wake Forest in the Dec. 27 Military Bowl. Rhule won a combined 20 games in his last seasons -- Temple won 20 games total from 1998-2006 and was winless in 2005.Rhule was an assistant under Al Golden, who orchestrated the heavy lifting that led the Owls to a bowl game. Rhule returned to the program in 2013 as the head coach following Steve Addazios two-year stint.Temple assistant Ed Foley will coach the Owls in the bowl.The guy that takes this program over is taking over a program in phenomenal shape, Foley said.The Owls have become a feeder program of sorts and Golden (who left for Miami) and Rhule both proved that winning in Philly can lead to a Power Five gig. Thats a career target for Collins as much as taking Temple to any late December bowl game.While the program has seen results skyrocket on the field, fan support remains apathetic.Collins will lead a program that plays in the NFL stadium Lincoln Financial Field. The schools drive for a 35,000-seat stadium appears to be stalled.The $126 million plan has generated controversy since February, when Temples board of trustees approved a feasibility study, hired architects and tore down apartments on university land near campus.Rhule was as much as a rah-rah booster of the program as he was as coach, helping the Owls stay visible in a crowded Philly sports landscape. Rhule helped resurrect from Temple from the brink of extinction -- first as an assistant, then as head coach -- and led the Owls into the AP Top 25 last year for the first time since 1979. The Owls returned to the Top 25 this season and won their first conference championship since 1967.Collins now his turn to try and keep the Owls perched there.---AP sports writers Ralph D. Russo in New York and Mark Long contributed to this report.---More college football http://collegefootball.ap.org/ Marvin Bagley III Jersey . Vancouver Whitecaps and Toronto FC failed to make the postseason while Montreal Impact fell at the first hurdle losing heavily to Houston Dynamo in the Eastern Conference Knockout Round. Chris Webber Kings Jersey . -- Timbers coach Caleb Porter didnt stray from his business-like approach to the season even after Portland downed the two-time defending league champion Los Angeles Galaxy to gain crucial playoff position. https://www.kingslockerroom.com/Tyler-Lydon-City-Edition-Jersey/ . "Were just throwing s--- at the wall hoping something sticks," said Tortorella about the possible line combinations for Fridays game against Columbus. The Canucks have lost five straight games and six of their last seven, leaving them in a logjam in the Pacific Division, currently sitting fifth - good for ninth in the Western Conference. Justin James Jersey . Here are his mid-season NBA awards. MVP: (KEVIN DURANT-Thunder) - Has been sensational this season and more importantly, the most consistent player in the league. Considering that his team has been without star guard Russell Westbrook and with the free agent departure of sharpshooter Kevin Martin, hes had to carry the majority of the load to not only keep his team afloat but more importantly, at an elite level. Caleb Swanigan Jersey . William Carrier opened the scoring for Cape Breton (6-4-2), but Andrew Ryan tied the game and Brent Andrews put the Mooseheads (8-6-0) in front for good with a short-handed goal at 13:49 of the second period. Englands Tony Bellew has certainly had his disappointments inside the boxing ring.There was his majority-decision loss to Nathan Cleverly in a challenge for a light heavyweight world title in 2011.Bellews second shot at a world title went even worse. He traveled to Quebec City in 2013 and was dominated in a sixth-round knockout loss to world champion Adonis Stevenson.But then Bellew moved up to the cruiserweight division, where he has thrived. He has won seven fights in a row since the weight-class change, including an impressive and explosive third-round knockout of dangerous puncher Ilunga Junior Makabu on May 29 to win a vacant cruiserweight world title.Filled with confidence and in a groove over the past two years, Bellew, who survived a first-round knockdown by Makabu, is excited for his first title defense, which will come against BJ Flores on Saturday at Echo Arena in Liverpool, England, Bellews hometown.One of the reasons for the excitement is because the 33-year-old Bellew (27-2-1, 17 KOs) doesnt particularly care for Flores, best known these days to American fight fans as an analyst on NBCs Premier Boxing Champions cards.The fight was made because of his mouth, Bellew said. Hes been following me around for two years, saying Im not a cruiserweight, Im a light heavyweight, saying I couldnt live with him. On Saturday night I am going to show him what I can do.When I say something, I mean it. Everything hes said hes meant it and hes going to pay for it on Saturday night. Hes had [an interim] world title [fight], whereas Ive done it the hard way. Ive earned every single thing that Ive got. Ive boxed in final eliminators against top fighters, and its going to show on Saturday night.Flores, 37, of Chandler, Arizona, has been somewhat inactive. He boxed only once in 2015, losing a debatable unanimous decision to Beibut Shumenov for an interim title in July. A 10-month layoff followed before Flores (32-2-1, 20 KOs) shook off the rust with a six-round decision win against journeyman Roberto Santos in May.The so-called loss to Shumenov still burns, Flores said. I know guys cry about being robbed all the time, but in that fight, I really was robbed. I outlanded the guy by such a clear margin. If I had won that fight, or if I had been given the decision I clearly deserved, it would be a big unification fight [with Bellew].I love this fight as it is a second opportunity for me, and to beat Bellew in front of his hometown fans, it would be the ultimate example of how perseverance can pay off.After Bellew won the 200-pound world title belt, he aand Flores began a heated exchange on social media.dddddddddddd That interaction was partly responsible for Flores landing the opportunity, and when the fight was first announced Bellew said he would smash BJ Flores to bits and be the first man to stop him. Hes been mouthing off and following me around for a couple of years and Im just a little bit fed up with him now.But Flores said he is unmoved by Bellews talk of a brutal knockout prediction. He even gave him props for it.Ive never been KOd. Its been a very long while since Ive been knocked down, and Tony will come forward, Flores said. Ive rarely been hurt in my career, ever, not since my younger days. As I say, this fight has all the ingredients. I like the way he speaks his mind and how he believes in himself.He cant talk the way he has been doing and then run in the fight the way Shumenov did. Whatever gets him motivated for the fight, then thats what hes going to do. Hell see what Ive got to say in the first round. He says hes going to do this or that. He can say whatever he wants. Ill do my talking from Round 1. I am going for the KO. I dont see the need to go the distance and I dont want it to. Im going to set a fast pace from the start and Ive put the work in to make sure I can maintain that pace for as long as I need to.Bellew said he doesnt believe Flores respects him, despite his words.He says he respects me, but I know he doesnt, Bellew said. His playboy mates think I am an easy touch, but when he gets in the ring and I hit him with 10-ounce gloves on, hes going to feel it. Hes going to look across the ring at me and think, He looks a bit chunky, a bit flabby, but trust me, when I hit him for the first time hell think, What was that? The same thing Makabu thought.Flores must have some respect for Bellew, however. He traveled to England weeks ago rather than wait until the week before the fight so he could get used to the time change and to make sure he is fully adjusted. That appears to indicate that he is taking Bellew seriously.If he gets by me, then congratulations to him because this is the best version of BJ Flores thats ever been, so if he beats me then hes a real guy, Flores said. But I really feel that [Saturday] is my night. Im not worried about his predictions or his attempts to rile me. Its not going to work.Bellew, however, believes differently.Its not trash talk. Its brutal truth, he said. On Saturday night Im going to put it to bed. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: SantaMedical
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8413 Themen und 8420 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen