ved plenty supportive messages from teammates post-match, which helped him get ove

in Allgemein 16.04.2018 11:19
von MJL456 • 2.720 Beiträge

MOUNT TREBEVIC, Bosnia-Herzegovina -- Sports enthusiasts and former athletes in Bosnia have taken it upon themselves to reclaim some of the glory Sarajevo savored as host of the 1984 Olympics -- and in the process rekindled the flame of international cooperation.Since the country lacks the resources to rebuild the Olympic facilities that were destroyed in the deadly war that followed the breakup of Yugoslavia, volunteers bought tools, rolled up their sleeves and got to work.At first, they planned to restore the bobsled and luge track on Mount Trebevic just so it could be used by the Bosnian national team for summer training. But the previously abandoned facility became a draw for athletes from throughout Europe.We bought some tools with our own money and started cleaning the track from vegetation, debris and mud, Senad Omanovic, the head of Bosnias Bobsleigh Federation, recalled. We had trees growing out of the track.The 1992-95 Bosnian war was the most brutal conflict on European soil since World War II. It took over 100,000 lives and turned more than half the population into refugees.It also trashed the decade-old Olympic facilities on the mountains around Sarajevo, venues residents once proudly looked up to from downtown as symbols of one of the citys most glorious moments. During the war, Sarajevans hid from the artillery and snipers Bosnian Serbs had placed on the Dinaric Alps.War turned the bobsled and luge track on Mount Trebevic, overlooking Sarajevo, into a concrete skeleton that eventually became covered with graffiti and trash. Little remains of the ski-jump facilities on Mount Igman, another site of fierce fighting. The mens downhill courses on Bjelasnica were resurrected as the citys main ski resort, but only after the land mines around them were cleared.It took Omanovic and his teammates years to clean the bob- and luge track where in 1984 teams from the German Democratic Republic took the gold and silver medals. They could only approach the Trebevic track after mine-removal experts cleared its entire length.As word spread through Eastern Europe that the Olympic track had been fixed up, teams in other countries approached Omanovic to ask about practicing there. The first was from Slovakia.Omanovic recalled frankly telling the Slovaks the facility lacked locker rooms, timing sensors and even toilets. They insisted the Sarajevo track, despite its rough history and condition, was among the best of the nine tracks available around the world for summer training.Tackling the course on wheeled equipment, racers can achieve speeds of 130 kilometers (81 miles) per hour. After Slovakia, teams from Poland, Turkey, Slovenia, Croatia and Serbia followed.So this became a regional training center, said Omanovic, who now hopes the track will one day achieve its old glory.Jacob Simonek, a member of the Slovakian team that has practiced in Sarajevo six times now, said the track was a bit bumpy but good despite its age and battle scars.On the other end of town, the ski-jump facilities on Mount Igman still stand as sad relics of war.Selver Merdanovic, a former ski jumper for Bosnia, has started working to revive the two small jumps so the 15 children from his club team can practice there. Rebuilding the high jumps, an expensive endeavor, remains a distance dream.Im trying to return this sport to Bosnia, Merdanovic said. I wish this to be my legacy.---Aida Cerkez in Sarajevo contributed to this story. Lou Gehrig Jersey . -- Team after team passed on Andre Ellington in the draft. Wade Boggs Jersey . Dallas hasnt ruled out the star quarterback for Sunday nights game against Philadelphia, but all signs point to Romos back injury pushing Kyle Orton into the starting role after two years of limited play as the backup. Surely Ortons name isnt the first that comes to mind for fans wanting a change after years of damaging interceptions, fumbles or, most infamously, the field goal flub when Romo dropped the snap on a kick that could have won his first playoff game in 2006. http://www.authenticbaseballshopyankees.com/black-20-jorge-posada-womens-jersey/ . - The Oakland Raiders re-signed offensive lineman Khalif Barnes on Friday. Mark Teixeira Jersey . Los Angeles star goalie survived those perilous gymnastics with no problem, and he eventually backstopped the Kings to a skid-snapping win. Quick stopped 27 shots in his return from a 24-game injury absence, Jeff Carter scored the tiebreaking goal with 7:55 to play, and the Kings snapped their five-game losing streak with a 3-1 victory over the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday night. Hiroki Kuroda Jersey . -- Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson asked his players a simple question during Fridays morning shootaround: How many of them had ever been on a team 14 games over . Todd Carney just cant help himself.Ever since he suggested to Elliott Whitehead he move to Canberra, the former NRL bad boy likes to remind the Englishman of the advice.He keeps telling me I told you so, said Whitehead ahead of Saturdays semi-final against Penrith.Carney, who was dumped by the Raiders in 2008 following a series off-field incidents, played with the athletic backrower with the Catalans Dragons in the English Super League.He told Whitehead that the Raiders and coach Ricky Stuart would perfectly suit him, as did the Raiders star hooker and fellow Englishman Josh Hodgson.I speak to Todd quite often, Whitehead said.Its pretty hard with different timezones and that but when I get a chance well Whatsapp each other and stuff.Whitehead has been immense in his debut season for the Green Machine.Hes played the most minutes of any player in the NRL - a total of 2019, missing just two minutes over 25 games.The workload has taken some toll on his body, but not enough to stop the 102kg from inflicting damage.I feel good and Ive really enjoyed my first season here, he said.That joy, though, disappeared for a short while last Saturday night.Whitehead drew a penalty foor a swinging arm across the face of Cronulla fullback Ben Barba late in the qualifying final at GIO Stadium.ddddddddddddJames Maloney slotted the resulting penalty goal for a 16-14 lead and eventual win; forcing the Raiders to play Penrith this Saturday in a sudden death semi-final.I felt sick, Whitehead admitted.I was very disappointed when I heard the whistle because I knew all the boys had done all the hard work. To give that away just five minutes from time it was pretty disappointing.At least weve got another chance this week and hopefully we get the result this week.Whitehead received plenty supportive messages from teammates post-match, which helped him get over the guilt.It was nice of them to text me and reassure me, but I still felt a bit bad, he said.Ill just have to keep my head up and help the team this week.I wouldnt say Ive got a point to prove - Ive worked hard every week for the boys and feel like Ive been doing my job pretty well the last couple of weeks.Hopefully I can just keep that form and take it into this weekend. China Jerseys Cheap Wholesale Jerseys 2020 Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys 2020 Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Cheap Jerseys Online ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: SantaMedical
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8413 Themen und 8420 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen