Davis wasnt our hero that day but a

in Allgemein 21.10.2019 15:53
von MJL456 • 2.720 Beiträge

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Adrienne Motley had 21 points, Jessica Thomas scored her 1,000th career point, and No. 11 Miami beat Maine 76-51 on Tuesday night for the Miami Holiday Tournament championship.Miami (11-1) won its 11th straight game for the first time since the 2011-12 season.Thomas came off a screen and hit a jumper with 6:36 left in the fourth quarter to become the 25th player in program history to reach the milestone. She also had a season-high seven assists.Erykah Davenport had 11 points and 10 rebounds for Miami, which made 51.7 percent of its shots and outrebounded Maine 40-23. Motley was 8 of 9 from the floor.Tanesha Sutton scored 13 points and Julie Brosseau added 10 for Maine (7-6), which shot just 34.7 percent from the field. Sigi Koizar, averaging a team-high 14.8 points, was held to seven points.Miami hosts No. 7 Florida State on Dec. 29 to open ACC play. Padres Jerseys China . I cant pinpoint a date, but I do remember a player from my youth. Brian Downing was with the Chicago White Sox at a time when I listened to every game I possibly could on the radio. That particular season the late great Harry Caray was calling the White Sox games. Padres Jerseys 2020 ., for the next three years with the signings on Monday of Daryl Townsend and Michael Carter. https://www.cheappadresjerseys.us/ . -- Matt Kuchar and Harris English ran away with the Franklin Templeton Shootout, shooting a 14-under 58 on Sunday in the final-round scramble to break the tournament course record. Stitched Padres Jerseys . Those lessons were more than enough to overwhelm the Utah Jazz. Lou Williams scored 25 points and the Hawks continued their offensive upswing as they rolled to an easy 118-85 victory over the Jazz on Friday night, winning their third straight and for the fourth time in five games. San Diego Padres Shirts . -- Stanford squashed Oregons national championship hopes again, schooling the Ducks in power football. September 9, 2005. Second semifinal, Sydney vs. Geelong.Most people remember Nick Davis incredible four-goal last quarter - brilliantly encapsulated by commentator Anthony Hudsons shout of: I see it, but I dont believe it! -- which broke the heart of the Cats.But many people wouldnt realise the significance of the result, which set off a chain of events that lead to the breaking of the longest drought in AFL/ VFL history, and played a key part in sparking an incredible run of premierships for Geelong in 2007, 2009 and 2011.With the two teams again set to lock horns in a cut-throat final, at the MCG on Friday night, it got me thinking again about the lead-up and aftermath of that magic moment.Daviss heroics are not only heritage listed by the Sydney Swans but are etched in my mind forever.Davis, a mercurial but frustrating forward, was banished to the wilderness of the Swans reserves indefinitely during a season and then dug himself an even deeper hole after speaking out in the media, saying he felt he was a scapegoat.While Swans players and fans will always laud Davis for helping us break the clubs long premiership drought, another Swan should share the platitudes, for it was he who helped drive the establishment of the Bloods culture.Former skipper Stuart Maxfield turned around the clubs culture soon after arriving from Richmond. He was a solid player without being a star, but his inner drive and values played a massive role in our eventual premiership win.Ill never forget the brutal player-driven 6am fitness sessions we used to have to perform. We would have to all assemble at the beach under the cover of darkness, with two house bricks in hand. Maxfield would bark at us not to let the bricks touch the sand in a 45-minute workout. Easy at first, but it doesnt take long until the burn begins. The sessions would finish either standing in a circle in crucifix position, staring at your mates holding bricks, or eye-to-eye doing knuckle push-ups on the concrete - trying not to relent, trying not to show weakness. You just couldnt let yourself be be the weak link or let them down.Because of the Bloods culture Maxfield helped instil, players such as Davis were forced to improve their attitude, buy into the team-first ethos and then change behaviour before returning to the fray in the senior side in some seasons.His pivotal moment came in-game during the finals series.We went to Perth for the qualifying final and fell agonisingly short against the Eagles. As a group we felt aggrieved by a late free kick which handed Tyson Stenglein a goal and West Coast the victory. The flight home was horrific. We were beaten, bruised and angry. But the double chance is a thing of beauty - after you get past that initial disappointment, you get to refocus, reset and have another crack.But initially against Geelong on our home deck, that didnt happen. We played flat, bogged-down footty.dddddddddddd Probably the sort of footy then-AFL supremo Andrew Demetriou had publicly criticised us for at the start of the same year.No flair, nothing up forward. It was scrappy football in slippery conditions.Not many were performing anywhere near their best, and then Davis had a moment all footballers hate. He let his man run off him without any real chase or pressure and then watched as he kicked a running, team-lifting goal.I can remember vividly Brett Kirk just giving it to Davis, saying he owed us. He didnt hold back, but fortunately Davis didnt sulk - he used it as motivation. Hed become one of the Bloods.What transpired then was just out of this world.The final quarter was a lift in intensity and a generation of momentum from a near standstill. All on the back of Davis. He kicked four goals, each of them different. All of them incredibly skilful. Each of them just as clutch.So it came down to one final stoppage, in our forward pocket. Wed charged back into the game but were still short. Our season was hanging by a thread.The final goal was a set play we had practised many times. Jason Ball won the hitout, palmed it down to where there was clear space, Davis hit the stoppage at pace, and was skillful enough to thread it through the goals on his left foot.The sound was deafening. Having played many games at the SCG, I cant remember the emotion ever being that raw and unbridled as it was that night. Everyone was jumping around, screaming, hugging, then we realised - there still could be time for the Cats to win the next centre bounce! Get back.Thankfully, the siren was blown almost as soon as the ball was bounced in the centre, and it was over. We were still alive.We were so relieved, so happy, so satisfied, and it reinforced to us the value of everyone playing their role. Winning little moments, executing and coming up big as a team - there is nothing more satisfying. Yes, Davis was the hero, but we wouldnt have been in that position without doing all the little things right, lifting when wed previously been playing so poorly, finding a way to win in literally the final seconds of the match ... it was pure jubilation.History will show that - after a much less nerve-jangling prelim against St Kilda - we endured another heartstopper in the big one against West Coast two weeks later. Davis wasnt our hero that day but again, it was the team-first efforts that got us over the line against the star-studded Eagles.No doubt, Daviss goals and the celebrations afterwards will be replayed regularly in the lead-up to Friday nights preliminary final.Who knows who will win through to the grand final, but it may just be the team that does the little things the best. It also helps if you have a forward who can win it off their own boot! ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: SantaMedical
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8413 Themen und 8420 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen