nt in qualifiers or friendlies where Englan

in Allgemein 14.01.2020 14:11
von MJL456 • 2.720 Beiträge

CARLSBAD, Calif. -- After a near six-year absence, former world No. 1 Martina Hingis is back on the WTA Tour. But Hingis, a five-time Grand Slam singles champion, insists her return will only be in doubles and not singles. The 32-year-old Hingis began her second comeback to the tour Wednesday, teaming with Daniela Hantuchova for a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Julia Goerges and Darija Jurak in the Southern California Open. Hingis has retired twice previously, the first time in early 2003 at 22 and the last time in November 2007. "I always had it in the back of my head in the last six years," said Hingis, who has been coaching for the last two years. "Now, being so much closer to it, being closer to the game, closer to the matches, I was like lets try it again and see if I can have a great time." Her last WTA match was a second-round loss to Chinas Peng Shuai at an event in Beijing in September 2007. But recent comments made by current tennis commentator Lindsay Davenport, the three-time Grand Slam champion and former No. 1 ranked player, that Hingis was using the doubles comeback to launch a full-fledge return to singles later this fall, has fueled rampant speculation. All of which the "Swiss Miss" swatted away like a weak second serve. "Its a different world," said Hingis, a recent inductee into the International Tennis Hall of Fame. "Even Team Tennis now, its brutal. Its only one set, but still like the next day I wake up and you have to put so much more effort into it. Playing tournaments, thats the easy part. Its all the grind behind it, behind the scenes that people dont see. The six straight hours of training. At 17, everything seemed to be so easy. Now. Im almost twice the age." Hingis just completed her second season of playing Team Tennis, leading the Washington Kastles to the championship and earning her second consecutive MVP award, all of which has her ready for her next return. "Its kind of weird just to play doubles," Hingis said. "Team Tennis always gets you in great shape. Being the MVP, that helps, I guess, the confidence. I played a lot more the last two years than I did in the first three years when I stopped." Hingis schedule after the Southern California Open includes two more warm-up tournaments at Toronto and Cincinnati before playing the U.S. Open, all with Hantuchova. "I dont have any expectations," Hingis said. "Obviously, I wouldnt put myself in this position if I didnt feel fine enough to be able compete at this level. Well see. Team Tennis, it was good enough. Will it be good enough in this world? Its another question." Hingis, who won 43 career singles titles, was also an accomplished doubles player with nine Grand Slam titles, including a calendar-year Grand Slam in 1998, and 37 doubles titles overall. A chronic ankle injury forced Hingis into her first retirement in 2003 and she was sidelined three years before she launched her first comeback in 2006. But her return fell far short of the standard set by the woman who held the No. 1 spot for 209 weeks, fourth longest in WTA history. Hingis was nothing close to the player who was the youngest Grand Slam singles winner at 16 years, three months when she captured the Australian Open in 1997 and later became the youngest female player to ascend to the No. 1 ranking. Hingis ended her first comeback under a cloud of controversy after she revealed in November 2007 that she tested positive for cocaine after losing in the third round at Wimbledon that year. Although Hingis professed her innocence, she said she was retiring rather than fighting the charges. Fake Stan Smith .com) - Following a late-game loss to the reigning NBA champs, the Toronto Raptors will look to sustain their recent high-level play as they travel to Indiana to take on the Pacers. Fake Yeezy 350 V2 . -- Matt Ryan needed one of the best games of his career to lead the Falcons and their depleted offence out of their three-game losing streak last week. http://www.cheapestairmaxstore.com/fake-air-max-90-cheap.html . Barcelonas entertaining victory ensured the defending Spanish champions retained their share of the league lead with Atletico Madrid two rounds ahead of their meeting in the capital. Real Madrid needed a late goal by substitute Jese Rodriguez to earn a 3-2 victory at Valencia to stay in third place and three points behind its title rivals. Cheap Air Max Outlet . In the lead up - which seemed to begin the moment Mike Geiger blew the whistle in Houston last Thursday night - the Impact rumour mill went into overdrive. The speculation went into meltdown mode, of the golden nugget variety. Cheapest Stan Smith .875,000, avoiding arbitration. Clippards deal Monday means all eight Nationals players who filed for arbitration wound up settling before a hearing. For Sam Allardyce, Englands long journey back to respectability in world soccer starts with lightening up and having some fun.The national teams new coach has lined up comedians from British television to host a quiz night at Englands training camp. Hes urging players to chill out by playing pool and table-tennis in their downtime. There are photographs and messages on the walls of the national training center, one of which reads: The Journey Begins Here.I havent come here to be miserable, Allardyce said.Miserable just about sums up Englands experiences over the last two years. After a group-stage elimination at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil came the humiliating last-16 loss to tiny Iceland at the European Championship in June.The country that invented football is now something of a joke in the global game because of its implosions every two years at major soccer tournaments. Its widely believed that Englands players have the talent, but are mentally fragile on the big stage -- and thats what Allardyce has set about changing after taking over from Roy Hodgson in July.Big Sam, as he is known, wants to create an environment where his players feel comfortable and relaxed when they report for England duty. Hence the new ideas and the new look at St. Georges Park, a national training center located in a sleepy town in central England and opened in 2012 at a cost of $160 million.The facility itself is fantastic, but there are some times when you can feel like you are stuck here a bit, Allardyce said. Weve walked around saying, `What can we do to make more of an impact on the players?There will be other messages. Its the journey we are on. I just wanted to brighten this place up.The England squad met up Monday for the first time since its embarrassing Euro 2016 exit in Nice two months ago, annd Wayne Rooney -- Englands captain -- was asked Tuesday for his initial thoughts on the new coach.ddddddddddddYou can see hes a relaxed guy, Rooney said, with a laugh.Allardyce is trying his best to make a good early impression. Arriving at St. Georges Park, journalists were handed a typed letter from Allardyce, saying he was looking forward to working with them and to making the nation proud of our football team.The journey starts with Englands opening qualifying match for the 2018 World Cup, against Slovakia on Sunday. But it isnt in qualifiers or friendlies where England is judged, rather in the knockout games in World Cups or European Championships -- where reputations and history is really on the line.A new era doesnt mean a new captain.Rooney will keep the armband under Allardyce, who sees the Manchester United striker as the right choice to lead the team because he is the most senior and respected member of the squad.Rooney said Tuesday he will not play for England beyond the next World Cup, so Russia in 2018 is his last shot at a trophy on the international stage. That is also when Allardyces contract runs to.Im going to try and enjoy these two years, Rooney said, and hopefully I can end my career with England on a high.I started playing football professionally when I was 16, international football when I was 17. So 15 years of international football is a lot of years and, in my eyes, I think that would be the right time to finish.By then, it should also be clear if Allardyces new approach has worked.The difficulty lies in coping with tournament football and trying to find a solution, Allardyce said. But I cant think about that until we get there. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: SantaMedical
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8413 Themen und 8420 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen