with our wits still intact, we need

in Allgemein 20.01.2020 13:12
von MJL456 • 2.720 Beiträge

LONDON -- Gennady Golovkin steamrolled to yet another knockout victory to retain his world middleweight title in a slugfest against Kell Brook on Saturday night at the sold-out O2 Arena.Golovkin, the much heavier puncher, punished Brook before unloading a brutal onslaught of blows against the game welterweight titleholder, sending Brooks trainer, Dominic Ingle, onto the ring apron to throw in the towel in the fifth round.It was just the kind of fight Golovkin wanted.I promised to bring Big Drama Show, like street fight, Golovkin said. This is not boxing, this is more like street fight. I feel its finished [in the fifth round]. I feel its game over.Brooks home-country crowd had come to see if he could pull off one of the biggest upsets in British boxing history, a list that includes Randy Turpins 15-round decision against Sugar Ray Robinson to win the middleweight title in 1951, Ricky Hattons 11th-round knockout of Kostya Tszyu to win the junior welterweight title in 2005, and Tyson Furys decision win over Wladimir Klitschko 10 months ago to win the heavyweight championship.But Brook (36-1, 25 KOs), who was moving up two weight divisions, was overpowered by perhaps the best puncher in boxing. Brook took some thunderous shots and never went down, but he seemed shaken by the numerous punches Golovkin landed.Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs) retained his title for the 17th consecutive time. The middleweight division record is 20 straight defenses, set by the great Bernard Hopkins, who was ringside as an HBO analyst.Golovkin, who has not gone the distance since winning an eight-round decision in 2008, notched his 23rd knockout in a row and raised his record for highest knockout percentage in middleweight title history to .917.But Golovkin took some clean licks before putting Brook away.He got hit, but he was definitely the bigger puncher, said K2 Promotions Tom Loeffler, Golovkins promoter. We give Kell Brook a lot of respect. He would probably beat a lot of the middleweights, just not GGG. Gennady came into the lions den. You saw the atmosphere at the O2, where the U.K. fans were cheering for Brook, but Gennady did his job, retained his titles and kept his knockout streak alive.Golovkin started quickly, perhaps wanting to see what Brook could take, and he buckled Brook with a hard left hook along the ropes about a minute into the fight. Brook overcame the brief distress and landed some clean shots, but Golovkin did not flinch.Brook landed several punches throughout the fight, giving the electric crowd false hope, because in addition to Golovkins power, he also has a granite chin. He has never been knocked down or visibly hurt in his career.I dont feel his power. I feel his distance, Golovkin said. He has great distance. He feels [my power], and after second round I understand that its not boxing. I need street fight. Just broke him. Thats it.Brook used his movement to stay away from Golovkin for stretches in the second round, but still ate a right and a left to the head. Brook responded with a series of head shots that sent the crowd into delirium as he and Golovkin slugged it out briefly in a possible round of the year contender.Golovkin attacked Brook to open the third round and landed a body shot and straight left that forced him to the ropes. Golovkin also damaged the right side of Brooks face with heavy blows.Brook went to the hospital after the fight with a broken orbital bone around his eye. He posted on his Twitter account that he would need to have surgery next week.Im devastated. I expected him to be a bigger puncher, Brook said. I think in the second round, he broke my eye socket. He caught me with a shot, and I was starting to settle into the fight, but I was seeing three or four of him, so it was hard to get through it. I was tricking him. His shots were coming underneath, and I was frustrating him. I was starting to settle into him, but when you see three or four of them, it is hard to carry on.Believe me, I hurt him. When youre in a fight, you can see every movement of a fighter, and I saw his legs buckle a couple of times. Hes a scary champion. Nobody wants to fight him, but I would fight him again, with a good eye. He is a great champion. Im trying to give back to the fans, and I hope they enjoyed the fight while it lasted. I wished I could go on, but when there are five of him, you dont know which one to hit.Golovkin battered Brook in the fifth round, forcing him to the ropes and teeing off. Brook spun away and threw up his hands as if to say, Im still here, but it was his last stand.Golovkin pounded Brook around the ring with both hands and had him trapped in a corner, firing huge rights and a left to the body. In all, Golovkin blitzed Brook with more than a dozen unanswered punches.Ingle got on the ring apron and waved a white towel, but referee Marlon Wright did not immediately notice. Golovkin got in a few more monster punches before Wright recognized the corner and waved off the fight at 1 minute, 57 seconds, immediately quieting the frenzied crowd.No, this is not a surprise, Golovkin said of the towel being thrown in. First of all, I respect Kell. Kell is good fighter. He is not middleweight. This is not his division. [Trainer] Abel Sanchez tell me to, Just take your time, do not box him. Just pressure him, because he is broken.I respect Kell. He is real, and thanks to his corner, for his career and for his family, [the stoppage was] correct.Said Ingle, referring to Brooks eye injury: You cant be fighting a guy like Golovkin when you cant even focus on the guy.Brook, 30, still had his wits about him when Wright stepped in, and he seemed surprised that his corner called for the stoppage.A fight with this magnitude, it should have carried on, Brook said. Dominic Ingle has seen me probably from 9 years old coming through. He was watching from the outside. I dont know what was going through his mind. But me as a warrior, I wanted to carry on. Knock me out, knock me out.When it was over Golovkin, 34, a Kazakhstan native fighting out of Santa Monica, California, simply walked back to his corner, showing virtually no emotion as he racked up another knockout.The corner did the right thing, Sanchez said. It was a matter of time. He was taking too many clean shots. At that point when they stopped it, it was over. Gennady knew it was over, and he was touching him with too many clean shots. I think something is wrong with [Brooks] eye, and the heavy hands were going to injure him permanently.I noticed it in the second round when he kept pointing to it and kept touching it. [Ingle] did say that something was wrong with his eye. But it wasnt so much with his eye as he was getting hit with too many clean shots. That could be very dangerous.Many thought that perhaps Golovkin was ill during the week, because he was a bit more reserved and seemed a little irritable, but he said he was fine, dismissing the rumors. And he sure looked healthy as he plowed through Brook, who was hoping to join all-time greats Sugar Ray Robinson and Carmen Basilio as the only reigning welterweight titleholders to win middleweight titles.I feel great. Its because Im not smiling. This is serious business, Golovkin said. I understand my situation in middleweight. I feel after first round that hes not middleweight, and I am not scared.Sanchez was not overly impressed by Golovkin and assigned him a grade of 4 on a 1-to-10 scale.He was trying too hard to knock Kell out, Sanchez said. The not smiling [Friday at the weigh-in], he had an hour and 40-minute ride [because of traffic]. He was upset and wanted to get on the scale and get out of here. He just was trying too hard. I was trying to tell him this is a 12-round fight. Just beat on him, beat on him, practice. I wanted him to use the jab more. He wasnt. He would use it for half the round and then not use it.Golovkin plans to return Nov. 26, the date HBO is holding for him. Lineal champion Canelo Alvarez, who fights Liam Smith for a junior middleweight world title on Sept. 17, refuses to fight Golovkin.Golovkin could face secondary titlist and mandatory challenger Daniel Jacobs, who defended his belt with a seventh-round knockout of Sergio Mora in a rematch on Friday night. After the fight, Jacobs called for the fight with Golovkin.We hope a lot of the fighters that turned Gennady down before will not just talk about fighting him now but will actually get in the ring with him after seeing him get hit by Kell Brook, Loeffler said.Golovkin would also like to win the last belt of the major belts he does not have. It belongs to Englands Billy Joe Saunders, who has already blatantly ducked Golovkin. But Golovkin said he holds out hope.Im open for everybody, [but] I want a unification fight, he said. I would like Billy Joe Saunders first of all, because he has the WBO belt.Golovkin wants Saunders, and he wants Alvarez, and he wants Jacobs. He wants them all and has been saying it for years.The question is, who wants GGG? Nike Cortez Store . -- The Bishops Gaiters are showing they belong among the countrys top varsity football teams. Cheapest Vapormax .C. -- Manny Malhotra had two goals and an assist, leading the Carolina Hurricanes to a 6-3 win over the Ottawa Senators on Saturday. http://www.cheapestairmaxstore.com/fake-yeezy-350-v2-cheap.html .C. United of Major League Soccer. United chose the defender in the second round of the 2013 MLS re-entry draft. Fake Air Max 270 . In what the team had called a retirement, Ryan said Thursday that he is resigning as chief executive of the Rangers in a move effective at the end of this month. Cheapest Air Max 97 . -- The goal posts lying flat on the field, Arizonas fans lingered on the field, congregating around the locker room entrance nearly 30 minutes after rushing out of the stands. The Bottom 10 inspirational thought of the week:They met on the dance floor in the old high school gym, He fell like a rock, she kinda liked him. And his heart beat like thunder, as they moved cross the floor, When the music was over, she slipped out of his arms, and out the door.So close, yet so far away. So close, yet so far away. We believe in tomorrow, maybe more than today. Were so close, so close, yet so far away.-- So Close, Hall & OatesHere at Bottom 10 headquarters, located in the guest room of the penthouse Brent Musburger rents to store all of his old network blazers, we do a lot of looking live, but were not usually looking live at the games to which the rest of the nation is looking live.Thusly, on Saturday we were honed in on Rutgers at Minnesota. Thats where the Scarlet Knights had trailed 21-0 in the first quarter, but stormed back with a chance to tie the game at 24-24 midway through the third quarter ... but missed the PAT. Then they had a chance to tie the game at 31-31 early in the fourth ... but failed on the two-point conversion. Then they finally took the lead 32-31 with four minutes remaining ... but surrendered a 13-play, 59-yard drive. In the middle of it all was a backbreaker third-and-1 play when the Gophers ball carrier looked stopped, but spun and spun and spun like the + button on his controller was stuck ... and he broke a 9-yard run to set up the game winning field goal with 6 seconds left to play.So close, yet so far away.Seeking some sort of writerly symmetry, I reached out to the man who wrote those lyrics. Daryl Hall was born in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, became famous in Philadelphia and currently resides in New York. A life lived within the gravitational pull of Rutgers. So surely he could relate, right? Mr. Hall politely requests you get off of his property, said a security officer at the gate of Daryls house, where I could hear him singing with, I think it was Michael McDonald. Mr. Hall says to tell you the rules are the same here as they were that time you jumped onto his bus outside of Dorton Arena in Raleigh in 1986. You creep him out. Go away.So close, yet so far away.With apologies to Oates and Steve Harvey, heres this weeks Bottom 10.1. FA(not I)U?(1-6)The Owls stumbled against the Fightin Byes of Open Date U. after officials called for a late clock runoff. This week its a visit from Western Kentucky, which according to the mysteriously accurate ESPN Stats & Information department FPI formula has an 86.5 percent chance of winning. In a related note, that same FPI formula gives our Bottom 10 Stats & Info department a 1.2 percent chance of understanding how the FPI formula works.2. Rice (1-6) Speaking of FPI, why are we even wasting it on games that dont matter? Because here at Bottom 10 HQ theres only one game that matters, and thats the Nov. 5 Pillow Fight of the Century, aka the Owl Bowl, when FA(not I)U visits Rice. As of right now, FFPI says Rice has the edge with a 62 percent chance of winning, but also says that the rest of us have a 100.dddddddddddd.8 percent chance of winning simply because the game is being played.3. Buffalo Bulls not Bills?(1-6) Should either of the Owls get their acts together, the MAC East stands ready to fill the breach. Or spill the bleach. The first round of the one-and-somethings MACtion bunkhouse stampede got underway last weekend when previously 13th-ranked one-win NIU housed previously eighth-ranked one-win Buffalo 44-7.4. Bowling Green (1-7) Meanwhile, previously seventh-ranked one-win Bowling Green lost to previously 12th-ranked one-win My Hammy of Ohio 40-26. Now currently fourth-ranked one-win Bowling Green will travel to currently 16th-ranked two-win NIU, but not until next week on the night after Halloween.5. Houston (6-2)How was the week in Houston? To quote Ricky Bobby, Well, lets see. I got mauled by a cougar ... Wait, I am a cougar. ... I got mauled by a Mustang, I didnt get invited to join the Big 12, and my Crystal Gayle shirt is ruined. Other than that, it was great.6. Fres-no State (1-7) Its Pitchfork Season in the Bottom 10 and the latest team to run their coach out of town is Fresno, who fired Tim DeRuyter. During Mondays Championship Drive podcast, Ivan Maisel threw out some names of potential coaching candidates, including former Fresno bench-warming QB Lane Kiffin. As soon as we were done recording the pod, I immediately wrote a letter to Santa saying I wanted to change the first item on my wish list from an Evel Knievel action figure to Lane Kiffin becoming the head coach at Fresno State.7. Kansas Nayhawks?(1-6) You can always tell its time for Halloween when cable television channels start filling up their programming calendar with horror movies. For example: Kansas at Oklahoma and Kansas at West Virginia.8. I-Ow!-A State?(1-6) A friendly warning: Assuming we all come out of the Owl Bowl with our wits still intact, we need to immediately brace ourselves for what comes the very next weekend, when Iowa State travels to Kansas for the Auntie Em Bowl.9. UMess?(1-7) Two weeks ago, UMass surrendered 690 yards to Louisiana Tech. On Saturday, South Carolina scored more than 20 points for the first time this season. The Minutemen are the best thing to happen to improving male performance since ... well ... since a joke I cant write here without being fired.10. In a Rut-gers?(2-6)The Knights host Open Date U. this weekend. Curiously, FPI gives the Fightin Byes a 42.7 percent chance of winning.Waiting list: EC-Yew (2-5), Feeling Ill-inois (2-5), Marshall (2-5), My Hammy of Ohio (2-6), State of Kent (2-6), NI-Whew (2-6), San Jose State (2-6), UL(not L)M (2-5), commenting that a team is cheating and refusing to comment on those comments. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: SantaMedical
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8413 Themen und 8420 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen