way from the games here in Charlesto

in Allgemein 11.07.2018 15:07
von riluowanying123 • 2.943 Beiträge

Dede Westbrook hasnt prepared a Heisman Trophy speech for Saturday night. He doesnt think hell need one because, as he put it: Im not expecting to get up there.This has been one of the greatest weeks of his life. A Big 12 championship on Saturday. Heisman finalist on Monday. Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year on Wednesday. The Biletnikoff Award, as the nations top receiver, on Thursday. New York City on Friday.Through it all, Westbrook has been thinking about who hed like to thank.This was never part of the plan, Westbrook said.Two of the coaches who always believed in him -- one he played for, one he didnt -- couldnt be prouder of Westbrook and the role they played in guiding him years before he would become the best receiver in college football at Oklahoma. Hes glad Rick Rhoades and Brad Franchione were two of the many who never let him quit.He calls Rhoades, his head coach at Cameron (Texas) Yoe High School, a father figure. During OUs Thanksgiving bye week two weeks ago, he went home and met up with Rhoades at a Cameron Yoe playoff game. Rhoades, now the coach and AD at Gregory-Portland, asked Westbrook how he was enjoying his newfound stardom.He told me that when it first started it was really neat that everybody recognized him, Rhoades said. Now its just a pain. He has to send his sister to Wal-Mart if he needs something, because if not, everybody in the world stops him and wants to get a picture with him.Its all a far cry from the anonymity he felt in his final year at Cameron Yoe, when he encountered the first major setback that jeopardized his playing career and future. There would be many more on his winding path to Oklahoma.It was a freak injury. Theres really no other way to describe it.Midway through the 2011 season, Westbrook was playing defensive back against McGregor High. He got tangled up with a receiver when they both went up for a ball.As he came down, he put his knee up to break his fall, and I kind of landed on top of him. Me being on top of him, his knee went up into my stomach and he ruptured my small intestines, Westbrook said.The knee struck him right in between his protective rib pads. Westbrook managed to walk off the field, Rhoades said, but the pain overwhelmed him when he got to the sideline. An operation to repair the injury required 18 staples and and left a six-inch scar from his chest down to his belly button.They were telling me Id never play football again, Westbrook said.His senior season was over. He lost a bunch of weight. His grades suffered. The college recruiters started backing off. In some ways, Westbrook had briefly lost his identity.Franchione did not give up on him. The Texas State assistant coach and son of head coach Dennis Franchione kept sending Westbrook letters during his five-day hospital stay and recovery. He came up with an academic plan to get Westbrook qualified. He sold him on the idea of staying closer to Cameron, a town of about 5,000.They were so family-oriented, Westbrook said, and they never turned on me.Westbrook committed to Texas State in November 2011. That spring, his chances of qualifying all came down to an SAT score. And after multiple attempts, he got the score he needed.But it was such an improvement from his previous score, Rhoades said, that the NCAA flagged it and never validated the score.So Franchione called his buddies at Blinn College, a junior college located an hour away from Cameron in Brenham, Texas. Hed been the head coach there for six years and led two NJCAA national title teams, including the 2009 squad starring Cam Newton. He knew the coaches there would take good care of Westbrook.I told their coach wed sure love to have him back, Franchione said, but it may be a pipe dream.Westbrook got off to a hot start at Blinn in 2012: 12 catches, 428 receiving yards, five TDs. And then he got hurt. This one wasnt major, but it was enough to throw him off course. He quit going to practice. He quit going to class. Rhoades said nobody at Blinn could find him.He dropped out and went home to Cameron. He needed a break and wanted time with his two young children, Vincent and Destiny. He didnt go back to Blinn in 2013.I was done with football, Westbrook said. I didnt want to play any longer. Id been playing since I was 7 years old and I was tired of it. I just wanted to get away from the game.Franchione still didnt give up on Westbrook, even when coaches warned him he was spinning his wheels. He kept urging the reluctant star to go back to school, to think about the bright future he was turning his back on.I told him, Youve got these little ones and want to know how youre gonna take care of them, Franchione said. Youve got a gift on the football field. The only way to give that gift to your kids is by doing your classwork and getting to that next level.With the help and convincing of Blinn coach Keith Thomas, who let Westbrook bring his children to practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays, the receiver returned to school and to football in 2014.I was dying to be back out there, Westbrook said. It gave me that hunger and that mentality that Ill work my tail off because its not promised to any of us.After returning, Westbrook finished with nearly 1,500 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns in just eight games. He suddenly had a long list of scholarship offers. He told Franchione he still wanted to go to Texas State. The assistants four-year investment was finally going to pay off.I remember celebrating and probably speaking too soon to our coaches at Texas State that we had him, Franchione said. I kind of regret opening my mouth. I remember some of them looking at me like I was crazy.The next day, Oklahoma came and offered him.What would have happened had he gone to Texas State? Franchione says there was no ceiling. They wouldve built the offense around him and even planned to let him play some Wildcat quarterback. For a coaching staff that got laid off after going 3-9 in 2015, its a difficult what if.Things would be a lot different, Westbrook said Wednesday after landing in Atlanta for the Biletnikoff Award ceremony. No disrespect to Texas State, but I probably wouldnt be where I am right now.When DEDE WESTBROOK appeared on his TV screen Monday night, when he saw his mug shot and knew it was real, his jaw dropped.Thats crazy, he muttered.He kept staring at the screen, speechless. He said it again. Westbrook was the last of the five Heisman Trophy finalists announced on the ESPN broadcast. And hell be the most unlikely candidate in the room Saturday.His life couldnt have worked out much better once he did make it to Norman. Hes won two Big 12 titles. Hes playing in the right offense with the right quarterback, teaming with fellow Heisman finalist Baker Mayfield for 120 catches, 2,200 receiving yards and 20 scores in their two seasons together. Hell get to support his children by playing in the NFL next year.Coach Rhoades taught me on the journey to playing football, you also become a better man, Westbrook said.Rhoades feared Westbrook might give up but is absolutely not surprised hes persevered. Franchione has no hard feelings about the one who got away.I know theres a lot of people that really love Dede Westbrook and love to see the success hes having, Franchione said.As Westbrook pondered his journey this week, he just kept coming back to that one word.Its surreal. I still cant believe it, he said. Its crazy. I beat the odds. Now Im a Heisman finalist. Thats crazy. Like ... its crazy. Cheap Evan Gattis Jersey .Y. -- Injured Buffalo Sabres forward Marcus Foligno did not practice with the team Monday and head coach Ron Rolston said its unlikely hell play in Wednesdays season opener in Detroit. Cheap Nolan Ryan Jersey . Batiste, who briefly signed with the Eskimos in 2006, has spent time with several NFL teams including the Pittsburgh Steelers and Washington Redskins. http://www.cheapastrosjerseys.com/?tag=cheap-jimmy-wynn-jersey . LUCIE, Fla. Cheap Jose Cruz Jersey . Denis Coderre, the former federal MP who was elected mayor on Nov. 3, has drawn the ire of some Montreal Canadiens. During last nights game he tweeted: "Hello? Can we get a one-way ticket to (minor-league) Hamilton for David Desharnais please. Cheap Alex Bregman Jersey . JOHNS, N. CHARLESTON, S.C. -- After almost an entire game of scoreless soccer, Mississippi State (1-1) and No. 17 Virginia Tech (2-0) combined for three goals in the final nine minutes of play as the Hokies edged out the Bulldogs, 2-1 to cap the weekend in Charleston.MSU broke into the scoring column first on Sunday, after freshman MaKayla Waldner earned her first career goal to give the Bulldogs the 1-0 lead in the 81st minute. VT would respond however in the 88th and 89th minute, as the Hokie Candace Cephers connected on a penalty kick followed by a header to seal the comeback win.We played a great game, but give Virginia Tech credit because they finished today, head coach Aaron Gordon said. Theyre one of the top teams in the nation and they showed why this afternoon. Were going to take this as a great lesson and use it as motivation going forward. Im proud of how we performed and that we were able to split the weekend. Weve going to take great positives away from the games here in Charleston.The Maroon and White now returns to Starkville following the weekend split in Charleston, as the Bulldogs prepare for their home opener against Lipscomb on Friday at 7 p.m. CT.Battling the heat and the 17th ranked team in the nation, the Bulldogs stood toe-to-toe with the Hokies, but ran out of time to land their last attack as VT earned the win in the final two minutes.MSUs first goal was chipped in by freshman Waldner who cleaned up a sprinting Mallory Eubanks shot that was deflected by VTs goalie. With time winding down, a foul inside the box gave Cephers a chance to tie the game, which she connected on to bring the score to 1-1. The senior then snuck a header in a minute later, to liift the Hokies to the comeback win.ddddddddddddGoal Scoring Rundown: MSU - MaKayla Waldner (81:52) The freshmen earned her first career goal as a Bulldog, after cleaning up a deflected Mallory Eubanks shot in the 81st minute to put

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: SantaMedical
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8413 Themen und 8420 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen