Goldschmidt doubled in Didi Gregorius, w

in Allgemein 19.10.2019 08:19
von MJL456 • 2.720 Beiträge

AKRON, Ohio -- In a story Oct. 15 about the Western Michigan-Akron college football game, The Associated Press, based on information from the Western Michigan coach and television announcers, reported erroneously how Akron players destroyed an oar before the game to Western Michigans Row the Boat motivational mantra. Akron officials say an oar was broken into pieces, not burned.A corrected version of the story is below:No. 24 Western Michigan shuts out Zips 41-0Jarvion Franklin rushed for a school-record 281 yards and Zach Terrell threw for two scores and ran for two more as No. 24 Western Michigan -- ranked in the Top 25 this week for the first time in school history -- shut out Akron 41-0 on SaturdayBy MITCH STACYAP Sports WriterAKRON, Ohio -- Javarion Franklin and Zach Terrell made sure one of the biggest weeks in the 100-year history of the Western Michigan football ended on a high note.Franklin, a junior running back, rushed for a school-record 281 yards and quarterback Terrell threw for two touchdowns and ran for two more as No. 24 Western Michigan -- ranked in the Top 25 this week for the first time in school history -- shut out Akron 41-0 on Saturday.Corey Davis caught two touchdown passes to add to his career school record, finishing with eight catches for 63 yards. The Broncos (7-0, 2-0 Mid-American Conference) had 585 yards of offense.It was an incredible credit to our players, Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck said. They played possessed. They executed the game plan perfectly.Franklin, whose previous career-high rushing game was 211 yards against Idaho two seasons ago, ran for a 2-yard touchdown in the first quarter. Terrell was 21 for 31 for 207 yards.By the time the fourth quarter started, I really had no idea I had a lot of yards, Franklin said. Jamauri (Bogan) kept saying something about 200 but I thought he was lying, so Im like, `hey, whatever. I just go out there and move the chains.Western Michigan held Akron (4-3, 2-1) to 283 yards of offense and snuffed out their biggest threat in the second quarter when quarterback TraVon Chapman was intercepted by Broncos linebacker Casey Carson at the WMU 3-yard line.Chapman, subbing for injured starter Thomas Woodson for the third straight game, was 13 for 31 for 153 yards and was intercepted twice.THE TAKEAWAYWestern Michigan: The strong season continues for the Broncos. They looked efficient on most of their offensive drives and shut down the Zips. Every win makes coach P.J. Fleck more attractive to the Power Five teams expected to have coaching vacancies after the season.Akron: The Zips suffered their first MAC loss, but theyre still likely to compete for the East Division crown. That means they could see WMU again in the conference championship game.Every now and then, you just get beat, Akron coach Terry Bowden said. Tonight, we just got beat on offense and on defense. Western Michigan just took it to us, and we didnt have any answers.POLL IMPLICATIONSNot many people saw Western Michigan roll over the Zips. But the score was decisive enough for the Broncos to hold their No. 24 spot or even move up.GIVING IT UPWestern Michigan became the last FBS team in the nation to commit a turnover when Akron defensive end Daumantas Venckus recovered a Davon Tucker fumble at the Akron 14 in the second quarter. WMUs Terrell had thrown an interception deep in Akron territory in the first quarter, but a defensive holding call nullified the play. Akron intercepted Terrell for real in the fourth quarter.WORKING ON A DREAMWestern Michigan is 7-0 for the first time since 1941, when it finished the season 8-0. The Broncos havent won the conference since 1988, when they went 7-1 in the MAC and 9-3 overall. They were 1-13 in 2013 -- Flecks first season -- before going 8-5 the past two years.THATS NOT VERY NICEA motivating technique for the Akron players Saturday was breaking an oar into pieces before the game -- designed to make light of Flecks Row the Boat mantra, which is supposed to symbolize a group of people working in unison for a common goal. Fleck, who came up with the mantra after losing an infant son shortly after birth a few years ago, didnt like it.Its not very classy, in my opinion, Fleck said after the game. Were not into revenge. I do believe in righteousness....Very simple, I think its just two different cultures.ROOT FOR THE HOME TEAMOne of the biggest cheers from the sparse crowd at InfoCision Stadium came in the second quarter when the PA announcer informed the crowd that the Cleveland Indians had taken the lead in the American League Championship Series being played about 40 miles away at Progressive Field. The Indians took a 2-0 lead over Toronto.UP NEXTWestern Michigan: The Broncos return home to play Eastern Michigan.Akron: The Zips travel to face Ball State.---Follow Mitch Stacy at http://twitter.com/mitchstacyFor some of his other recent stories: http://bigstory.ap.org/content/mitch-stacy Cheap Hockey Jerseys .C. Lions has come to an end. Banks told TSN on Jan 2 that he had no interest in playing out the option year of his contract with the Lions in 2014, and he again made that clear in a conversation with Lions GM Wally Buono last week. Hockey Jerseys Black Friday . The giant slalom world champion slipped during her first run in the morning, landing on her back and then twisting forward before getting her leg caught in the protective material on the side of the slope. https://www.fakehockeyjerseys.com/ . -- Jimmie Johnson held off a teammate, passed a pair of Hall of Famers, and dominated once more at Dover. Custom Hockey Jerseys . -- Ohio States Urban Meyer has never had any issue acclimating to the biggest stages in college football. Wholesale Hockey Jerseys . The Dutchmans tenure got off to a poor start when referee Guido Winkmann awarded a penalty within two minutes for Niklas Starks clumsy challenge on Alexandru Maxim.ST. LOUIS - Paul Goldschmidt has a new plan for hitting with runners on base. So far, it is working well. Goldschmidt ripped a run-scoring single in the 14th inning to lift the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 7-6 win over the St. Louis Cardinals on Tuesday night. Arizona, which improved to 7-2 in extra innings, has won three of four. St. Louis (38-20), which still has the best record in the majors, has lost all four of its extra-inning games this season. Goldschmidt believed he let his teammates down during crunch time toward the end of last season even though he batted .305 with runners on base. "Im not sure about the numbers, but I felt like I struggled with runners on," he said. So he found an interesting way to change the situation. Goldschmidts winning hit improved his average to .376 with runners on base. "I pretend there is nobody on base and just stick with my same approach," he said. "Its worked so far. Well see what happens the rest of the year." A.J. Pollock hit a three-run homer for Arizona, and Willie Bloomquist had four hits in the 4-hour, 53-minute game. Josh Collmenter (2-0) earned the win with four innings of scoreless relief. Heath Bell recorded his 10th save in 12 opportunities. Allen Craig and Shane Robinson homered for St. Louis, which fell to 4-3 on its nine-game homestand. Goldschmidt drove in Gerardo Parra with a one-out, line-drive single up the middle off Victor Marte (0-1), who walked two batters before the winning hit. "Hes just got a great approach up there," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said of Goldschmidt. Arizona is 10-2 in its last 12 road games against NL Central opponents. Bell gave up a leadoff double to Yadier Molina in the 14th before retiring the next three hitters. The Diamondbacks are 3-3 on their eight-game trip. "An outstanding baseball game," Gibson said. "We would have liked to have won it earlier, but we didnt give in. Weve had several of these (extra inning) games, more than anybody." Arizona beat St. Louis 10-9 in 16 innings on April 3. The Diamondbacks bullpen, led by Collmenter, allowed only one run over the final 8 1-3 innings. Collmenter, who earned the win in the earlier 16-inning game, struck out five and gave up four hits. "He was the hero of the game," Arizona infielder Martin Prado saiid.dddddddddddd The Cardinals rallied from 4-1 and 6-3 deficits and tied the game in the seventh on a run-scoring single by Carlos Beltran. "I was proud of the way the guys battled all night long right to the end," St. Louis manager Mike Matheny said. "The best thing to come out of this is that we battled." Pollocks three-run homer staked the Diamondbacks to a 4-1 lead in the fourth. St. Louis infielder David Freese had a career-high four hits and extended his career-best hitting streak to 14 games with a single in the sixth. He added singles in the eighth, 10th and 12th. "You want to win these games, especially after a long night," Freese said. "But you have to hand it to those guys over there. They took care of business." Pollock drilled a 2-0 pitch into the first row of the left-field bleachers off St. Louis rookie starter Michael Wacha, who gave up six runs in 4 2-3 innings. Pollack has hit safely in eight of nine games. St. Louis cut the deficit to 4-3 on Craigs fourth homer of the season. Arizona answered with two runs in the fifth to stretch its lead to 6-4. Goldschmidt doubled in Didi Gregorius, who began the inning with a hit. Jason Kubel followed with a run-scoring single. The Cardinals scored single runs in the fifth and sixth to get within 6-5. St. Louis infielder Matt Carpenter stretched his hitting streak to a career-best 13 games with a leadoff triple in the first. Arizona left-hander Tyler Skaggs gave up five runs in 5 2-3 innings. It was his second start of the season and eighth of his career. NOTES: Wacha and Skaggs, two former first-round draft choices, were born 12 days apart in July 1991. ... St. Louis RHP Joe Kelly (0-2, 6,75) will make his first start of the season Wednesday against Wade Miley (3-5, 5.01) in the third game of the four-game series. ... Arizona is the only team in the majors that hasnt been shut out this season. ... St. Louis RHP Jake Westbrook went 3 2-3 innings and allowed one run and six hits in a rehab start on Tuesday for the Cardinals Double-A team in Springfield, Mo. Westbrook, who threw 45 strikes in 60 pitches, went on the disabled list on May 9 because of right elbow inflammation. "Everything felt good," he said. "I was a little erratic with my pitches, but thats expected the first time out." ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: SantaMedical
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8413 Themen und 8420 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen