The Bears should at least remain where they are but coul

in Allgemein 23.12.2019 14:30
von MJL456 • 2.720 Beiträge

ATLANTA -- It once looked like the Detroit Tigers would be catching a break by ending the regular season with an interleague series against the Braves in Atlanta, even if it meant no designated hitter.The Braves, though, no longer resemble the ballclub that seemed guaranteed to lose more than 100 games in the final season at Turner Field.The Tigers -- fighting for an American League wild-card spot -- will instead face an Atlanta team that has won 10 of its past 11 games and is 35-34 since the All-Star Game.Large crowds will be on hand to say good-bye to the Braves home for the past 20 years and the team wants to put on a good show.We kind of feel like have something to play for, too, Braves interim manager Brian Snitker said. I wouldnt say players talk about being spoilers. Its more looking forward to good games that mean something. We want to win these games, too. Were playing like were a half-game out in the wild-card.The Tigers, though, obviously have the most riding on the series and now have the prospect of an extra game on Monday if needed after being rained out at home against the Cleveland Indians on Thursday.The good news for Detroit is that there is little chance of rain in Atlanta this weekend.The Tigers (85-73) are 1 1/2 games in back of Toronto and Baltimore in the race for the two wild-card spots in the American League.Rookie left-hander Daniel Norris (3-2, 3.59 ERA) was pushed back by the rainout to start the series opener on Friday night, with Jordan Zimmermann (9-6, 4.88 ERA) now going on Saturday. Ace Justin Verlander (16-8, 3.10 ERA) will pitch on Sunday.The Braves will start Matt Wisler (7-12, 4.86 ERA) in the series opener, followed by rookie Aaron Blair (1-7, 8.02 ERA) and Julio Teheran (6-10, 3.10 ERA) -- the teams All-Star Game representative.The Tigers will have to adjust their lineup for the series with the absence of designated hitter Victor Martinez from the cleanup spot. The veteran switch-hitter cant play the field because of his knees and will be limited to pinch hitting.Thats the way it is, said Tigers manager Brad Ausmus, who is glad to at least have third baseman Nick Castellanos back from his broken hand.Martinezs absence puts extra importance on Miguel Cabrera, though. The first baseman is hitting .423 with two homers and 11 RBI during a seven-game hitting streak, and has a .352 average with 18 homers and 52 RBI in his past 62 games.Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman had his hitting and on-base streaks come to an end Thursday against Philadelphia at 30 and 46 games, respectively. He batted .384 during his hitting streak, which was the longest in the majors since 2011.Dan Uggla set an Atlanta franchise record by hitting in 33 straight games that year. The on-base streak was the longest by a Brave since Gary Sheffield set the Atlanta record of 52 games in 2002.The Tigers are 12-5 against interleague opponents this year, while the Braves (66-92) are 6-11. The teams have played 18 times, with Detroit winning 12 times. The Tigers have a .621 winning percentage against the National League since 2006.The Tigers-Indians game will be made up on Monday in Detroit if it carries postseason implications, either for Detroit in the wild-card race or Cleveland for postseason seeding.The Tigers could end up playing five games in five days in five different cities. After the game in Atlanta on Sunday, they could have to play the makeup game on Monday, then possibly go to Baltimore to play a wild-card tiebreaker against the Orioles on Tuesday, then a wild-card game on Wednesday and the AL Division Series on Thursday.Im aware of it, Ausmus said of the five-games-in-five-days possibility. But one thing at a time. If thats the scenario, thats a good thing. Its a good problem to have. Air Force 1 Mens Wholesale . -- Canadian Andrew Wiggins got the ball on the wing, made a nifty spin move and then let go with a soft floater from about 10 feet that swished through the net in Allen Fieldhouse. Air Force 1 Off White Sale . Thats not a comment on the suspension that banished the Portland Winterhawks general manager and coach from his Western Hockey League teams bench for most of the 2012-13 season. http://www.airforce1storesale.com/fake-air-force-1-off-white-outlet.html . Bjorn, who had a 36-hole total of 8-under 134, made a testing six-foot putt to save par on the 16th and a birdie on the 17th before bogeying the final hole after a misjudged approach shot. American Kevin Streelman was in second place after shooting a 69. Air Force 1 Discount . -- In a span of seven Washington Redskins offensive plays, Justin Tuck sacked Robert Griffin III four times. Air Force 1 Blue Fake . After a lengthy wait, persistent rain finally forced the postponement of the Nationals game against the Miami Marlins on Saturday night. The teams, and a few thousand fans, waited nearly four hours from the 7:05 scheduled start time before an announcement was made shortly before 11 p. HOUSTON -- Rice had some fun at Baylors expense at halftime. The Bears then toyed with the Owls in the second half.Seth Russell threw for 337 yards and three touchdowns and No. 21 Baylor shrugged off a slow start to beat Rice 38-10 on Friday night after the Rice band mocked the Bears at halftime.The band formed a Roman numeral IX on the field to represent Title IX, the federal law Baylor is accused of violating in sexual assault scandal, and a shifted to a star formation in reference to Ken Starr, the former Baylor president was demoted and eventually resigned amid the scandal.Russell was 22 of 38 to help the Bears win their 19th straight regular-season nonconference game and improve to 3-0 for the sixth straight season, a program first.Weve preached start fast, and we havent done that the past three games, Russell said. Its pretty disappointing. Its just something that we can grow on. Its an aspect of the game we need to get better at.KD Cannon caught nine passes for 213 yards and two touchdowns. Cannon cited the Bears youth as a reason for the slow starts.Just being young and not knowing what to do, Cannon said. Its something we have to get better at.Rice (0-3) led 3-0 after the first quarter before JaMychal Hasty scored on a 16-yard run, and Cannon caught a 10-yard pass from Russell to put the Bears up 14-3 midway through the second quarter.We arent very consistent right now, Baylor interim coach Jim Grobe said. Thats our problem. Its obvious we have some talent, and I think we can be a good football team, but right now we are just so inconsistent.The Owls closed to 14-10 with 3 minutes left before halftime, but that would be as close as they would get.Darik Dillard ran for 124 yards on 14 carries for the Owls. Emmanuel Esukpa had Rices lone touchdown.The Owls fell to 0-3 for the second time in three seasons.Standing up here, were 0-3, but all our goals are still intact, Rice coach David Bailiff said. If we have that same type of effort, well keep growing those young ones up, and we ought to be in great shape.KEY TAKEAWAYSBAYLOR: The Bears were able to gain yards, but struggled to put points on tthe board early.dddddddddddd Russell had a pass intercepted, and Chris Callahan missed field goals from 47 and 37 yards. The defense played well, holding the Owls to 265 yards.RICE: The Owls hung with Baylor and kept it a two-score game until 45 seconds left in the third quarter. Rice still struggled defensively as the Bears put up 638 yards. The Owls offense was able to run well, but could not get anything going passing, gaining just 31 passing yards.POLL IMPLICATIONSBAYLOR: The Bears should at least remain where they are but could move up a couple spots with the 28-point win. Baylors stats were impressive, but they should have scored more. Nonetheless, they earned a win on the road by a comfortable margin.BRILES MAKES AN APPEARANCEFormer Baylor head coach Art Briles was in the stands for the game. Fired at the end of May for Baylors sexual assault scandal, Briles sat behind the Baylor bench about 20 rows up from the field. Briles son, Kendal, is still the Bears offensive coordinator.I did not know he was here, Russell said. I wish I had seen him. Hes a guy thats what I came here for. I came here for coach Briles. Hes a top notch guy. A lot of bad things are being said about him now, but I know in my heart that hes one of the best guys Ive ever been around.Hes a father figure. For sure, he does the right things when he needs to. He just got caught up in the wrong situation. Hes going to support us any way he can. I love him to death. Hes a great coach and a great guy.SHOCK BREAKS RECORDRB Shock Linwood had 57 rushing yards to set a new school record with 3.676 yards over his career. Walter Abercrombie had 3.665 yards from 1978-81.Its just something I can look back on and say I am one of the legends and one of the all-time leading rushers, Linwood said.UP NEXTBAYLOR: The Bears start Big 12 play against Oklahoma State in Waco on Sept. 24.RICE: The Owls will look for their first win of the season as they play their second Conference USA game against North Texas on Sept. 24. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: SantaMedical
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8413 Themen und 8420 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen