Tampa Bay broke it open in the eighth

in Allgemein 16.01.2020 13:57
von MJL456 • 2.720 Beiträge

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Duop Reath scored 21 points and LSU made six straight free throws in the final minute to hold off Texas Southern 88-80 in a non-conference game Saturday.LSU (7-2), which fell behind by five points in the second half, took the lead for good on a field goal by Reath with 6:37 remaining. Texas Southern (4-7), which has lost six games in a row, came within one point on three occasions over the next five minutes.With LSU ahead 80-79, Antonio Blakeney sank a pair of foul shots with 58 seconds remaining. Both Reath and Jalyn Patterson made two free throws to put LSU comfortably ahead. Texas Southern did not make a field goal in the final 1:56 of the game.We got a 10-point lead and instead of us staying true to form on the defensive end of the floor, we allowed them to make plays in the second half, LSU coach Johnny Jones said. We started to settle (for shots). The good thing is we figured out a way to win.All but two of Reaths 21 points came in the second half. Craig Victor II had the third double-double of his career with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Blakeney added 16 points, while Patterson scored a season-high 12 points. Brandon Sampson contributed 10 points for LSU.I pushed through for the win, Reath said. Coaches and players were telling me to stay focused and to not worry about the first half. I will do whatever to help the team win. I need to stay out of foul trouble and stay on the court.Both Zach Lofton and Demontrae Jefferson had 18 points for Texas Southern. Jefferson scored 17 of his points after halftime. Derrick Griffin accounted for 13 points and 15 rebounds, while Marvin Jones scored 10 points.Were getting better, Texas Southern coach Mike Davis said. LSU made some big shots down the stretch. We needed to drive the ball against them in the second half. We did not need to be settling for jump shots. We had to make them foul us and make our free throws.BIG PICTURELSU: The Tigers, who have struggled in the first half in the previous eight games, blew a double-digit halftime advantage against Texas Southern. LSU was taken down to the wire by North Carolina Central and Texas Southern before winning by four and eight points, respectively, in its last two home games.TEXAS SOUTHERN: Texas Southerns losing streak continued, but it played much more competitively against a power conference opponent. Texas Southern had been beaten by 22 points by Arizona and 31 points by Louisville. In its previous game, Texas Southern lost by 38 points to Cincinnati.REVERSAL OF FORMLSU had been outscored by an average of four points in the first halves of its previous eight games. LSU had rallied from a halftime deficit in three of its six victories. On Saturday, LSU had its second largest halftime advantage of the year at ten points 44-34. However, LSU was outscored 28-13 by Texas Southern in the first ten minutes after halftime. LSU needed a strong showing from Duop Reath down the stretch to pick up the victory.DOUBLE TROUBLETexas Southerns inside-outside duo of Derrick Griffin and Demontrae Jefferson allowed it to get back into the game following halftime. The 6-foot-7 Griffin had eight points and eight rebounds during the second half. The 5-7 point guard Jefferson was 6 of 10 from the field and scored 17 second-half points.UNHERALDED PERFORMANCEJunior Jalyn Patterson, who has gone back to a reserve role for LSU, ended up playing most of the game at point guard instead of Skylar Mays. Patterson had his best game of the season with 12 points, four rebounds, four assists and three steals. The points and steals were a season-high for Patterson. In the previous eight games, Patterson had made just 28 percent of his field goal attempts. He was 4-of-5 from the field against Texas Southern.UP NEXTLSU: LSU will attempt to extend its season-opening home winning streak to seven games when it takes on Charleston on Monday.TEXAS SOUTHERN: Texas Southern will play its 12th consecutive road game of the season Sunday when it meets TCU in Fort Worth (Tex.). Patrick Ewing Jersey . -- Sergey Tolchinksy scored his second goal of the game 3:56 into overtime as the Sault Ste. Eddie Johnson Jersey . Batiste, who briefly signed with the Eskimos in 2006, has spent time with several NFL teams including the Pittsburgh Steelers and Washington Redskins. https://www.supersonicsjerseys.com/ .com) - The red-hot Los Angeles Kings will try to extend their winning streak to a season-high seven games when they visit the Edmonton Oilers for Sundays clash at Rexall Place. Al Tucker Jersey . The No. 1-ranked Nadal tweaked his back warming up for the Australian Open final, which he lost almost four weeks ago in a major upset against Stanislas Wawrinka. His first stop after the layoff is the clay in Rio as he tests the back and tries to stay healthy for the French Open in three months. Seattle Supersonics Store . -- Mike Smith never saw his first NHL goal go in. HOUSTON -- Outside of one rally, the Houston Astros never had an answer for Chris Archer.The right-hander struck out 10 in seven innings, Corey Dickerson hit a three-run homer and the Tampa Bay Rays beat Houston 10-4 on Sunday.We didnt put a lot of pressure on him early, Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. He made his pitches. I thought we responded very well in the fourth with the three runs after getting down 4-0. 4-0 with Archer on the mound is a pretty tall task. We get back into it 4-3 with a lot of good at-bats in that inning and then he responded with high-end velocity. ... When hes locked in, hes an elite pitcher. He sort of came in and out of that elite style today and held us at bay.Houston, in the hunt for an AL wild card, had won three straight.Matt Duffy and Nick Franklin also went deep for the last-place Rays, who have homered in 21 of their last 24 games.Franklin got three hits in his first start since returning from a concussion. Evan Longoria also had three hits for the Rays, who jumped out early against Doug Fister (12-9).The right-hander allowed four runs, two earned, and seven hits in 4 1/3 innings, the fourth time in his past seven starts he has permitted four or more runs.I didnt have my best stuff today but made some pitches, Fister said. They hit some balls hard, they hit some balls soft and did what they needed to do. Something that you dont want to happen, but youre trying to keep the damage minimal.Steven Souza Jr. had an RBI groundout in the second. Doubles by Dickerson and Longoria made it 2-0 in the third.Luke Maile hit an RBI double in a two-run fourth. The rally was aided by a pair of errors on one play by Houston rookie third baseman Alex Bregman with two outs.With the Astros trailing 4-0 in the bottom half, Jose Altuve hammered the first pitch he saw from Archer for his 21st home run, a two-run shot. Houston has 18 homers in the last 10 games.Jason Castro cut it to 44-3 with an RBI single.dddddddddddd.Archer (8-17) gave up three runs on four hits and two walks.I just felt really good overall today, he said. Last time I threw, obviously I felt pretty good. Theyre a good, young team, so its really fun to go out there and duke it out with them. Today we ended up on the right side of it.With his strikeout of A.J. Reed in the sixth, Archer joined David Price and James Shields as the only Tampa Bay pitchers with multiple 200-strikeout seasons.Elite stuff, Rays manager Kevin Cash said of Archer. You put yourself into a category not a lot of pitchers get into. Coming in we knew Archers stuff was right there at the tops in baseball and that shows how elite it can be. If he continues to stay in the zone, hes going to be in those categories quite a bit.Tampa Bay broke it open in the eighth, when Duffy and Dickerson combined to drive in five runs on a pair of homers.It did feel good, Dickerson said. To be able to see the ball well, consistently put on good swings instead of every now and then. Its good to get some in a row and I think that helped me a lot.Franklin joined the party in the ninth with a solo shot to right. He has four home runs in his last 28 at-bats.Houstons bullpen gave up six runs and seven hits in 4 2/3 innings.TRAINERS ROOMAstros RHP Luke Gregerson (left ankle) remained unavailable, but Hinch said the team will try to get the reliever into a game against Oakland this week. ... OF Colby Rasmus (cyst in right ear) is scheduled to work out Monday and then it will be determined whether he will be activated or needs a rehab assignment.UP NEXTAstros RHP Joe Musgrove (1-2, 5.20 ERA) starts against Oakland on Monday. Musgrove has given up 13 runs in his past two starts after allowing just three in his first two major league starts. ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: SantaMedical
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 8413 Themen und 8420 Beiträge.

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen